3.30.2012

Interview day ...

So, it was just a screening interview for Jordan School District, but an interview still the same. I was pretty nervous for it anyway! I had made plans to go to the temple on Thursday to get a little extra help/peace from on high, but applied to jobs till it was too late to go. Sometimes if I get started doing something that really has no end, I can go for a really long time. The same thing is true with cleaning. Sometimes if I start, I won't stop til everything is clean. Also, I was making up for a slow start in the morning. Anywho, back to my original point. I didn't go to the temple. So, I seT myself an alarm for 6:45 and told myself I would go before the interview. HA! That didn't happen. My interview was at nine o clock in South Jordan, but somehow I got it in my head that it was at ten... So I pushed snooze several times, and luckily woke up at 8:18... I slowly was getting ready when suddenly I thought oh no! I have the time wrong. Checking in my calendar confirmed that I was going to be LATE. So I hurriedly got ready (I didn't even shower... Don't tell anyone, but with this great new hair cut it is super easy to do curly and looks pretty great I think). I was out the door at 8:45 it the directions said it would take 45 minutes to get there. So, I am silently freaking out in my head, but I called the woman who was to interview me and told her of my mistake, and that I would be late. I didn't tell her how late! She said ok, but I thought, "there is no way they are going to hire me now, I'm already 20 points behind because I am late."

I pressed on anyway, praying to Heavenly Father to somehow lend a hand here. I made it in 30 minutes, not 45, so that was a blessing. Then I just had to get control of my nerves and present myself well. Teaching interviews, even screening interviews, can be pretty hard core. They actually want to know what you know. I wish they gave you a study guide...that would really be helpful. This interview was pretty hard core, and on a couple of the questions I completely blanked! Completely. The worst part was, it was a question about procedural safeguards for parents given in IDEA (special Ed law!). Name five of the proceedurAl safeguards... And I blanked. I remember being tested on this is class and I passed obviously, but nothing was coming to me. "um, I know you have to tell the parents everything in a letter before you do anything." (Prior Written Notice) That was all I could think of... The woman interviewing me coaxed four more out of me... I was sweating and felt pretty dumb. That is a BASIC thing to know, and an important one. Needless to say, I didn't think it was my greatest interview ever. However, I did apply to be sub for their district now, and so at the end of the interview she asked me about that and took me down to see the women who handles that end of things. While we were walking down, she asked me if I would be able to start subbing for a long term sub position on the 5th, which I said, "Of course." Apparently they have had an opening that they did not anticipate, in a middle school self-contained special ed classroom, and that they would need that filled for next year too. She then said, "It isn't where we thought we would put you initially, but didn't anticipate this opening." This really shocked me that I was being considered anywhere... Was it my 15 minutes of tardiness or that I blanked on the easiest question ever that assured her of my abilities. So whatever that means. I said a very heart felt thank you prayer on the way home.

I then came home to reAd an email in response to my resume and cover letter to be a volunteer coordinator for the Utah County Crisis Line. I would be in charge of recruiting and training volunteers to staff the 24 hour crisis line. How cool would that be? I have an interview on April 13th for that. It's part time so maybe I would even be able to do it and sub at the same time. We'll see.

I then proceeded to take a LONG midday nap, and woke up at 3:15 from really really odd dreams about holding hands with a random kid from high school... I dont think that means anything... My aunt Linda and I took apart their old porch swing, drove it to Uncles Vernon's nephew's house, reassembled it, and then bought a Colorado Blue Spruce for my great aunt Nola. In a big wind sorry a while ago, all her big beautiful trees were knocked over, so Linda wanted to get her a new one. isn't that so sweet? We had dinner at Wallaby's in Pleasant Grove, and let me tell you it was fast, delicious and not too pricey. They served the most delicious rolls I have ever eaten! I ended the day painting Daniels wall white... There was just this little built in bookshelf that needed to be painted and so I thought that it wouldnt take too long! Was I ever wrong! Even though we were painting over light blue, we will need at least two coats of paint. Linda came in to see my progress and told me that the black wall was much easier to paint and I responded, "Black does cover a multitude of sins." I could expound on this analogy and relate it to life... But I'm not going to. If you come up with a good one, let me know.

So, that was my day. I am ready for general conference tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you got some feedback to let you know that you had done well despite challenging circumstances! I think it will work out for the best!

    ReplyDelete