Family is a funny thing. YOu don't get to choose who your siblings or parents are, but somehow you belong all the same. I love my mom's sisters, partly because when I look at them I see pieces of myself mirrored back at me. The relief society president in my new ward said after being introduced as my Aunt Linda's niece, "You have the same mouth and eyes.". I love being with my aunts especially when I am missing my mom, because when I am with her sisters I feel that she is there too. In the things they say and do, in their memories, in the fabrics they enjoy, in the food they eat/make, and in the flowers they appreciate.
My Aunt Connie and Aunt Marilyn came down from Idaho today to do a chocolate making tutorial for our relief society. It was awesome! We made cake balls, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate pops, filled chocolate Easter eggs, and homemade tootsie rolls.
I love being with my family, and I really appreciate the effort that my moms family has made to stick together, to be there for eachother, and to make it a priority to get together when they can. Being a family is more than just biological heritage as well. Although a lot is said about how much Nichole and I look like the Hart women. We have my grandma's feet and her eyes. I think about my Aunt Linda's children who are all adopted, and I notice the things that make them just as much a part of the family as me. Their love for and memories of Grandma and Grandpa. I sang in the ward choir on Sunday with Karina, my beautiful saomoan cousin, and while the other women were being a little snippety, Karina was so calm and peaceful, very polite. So I complimented her on this, for being so mellow and kind all the time, and she said, "I get it from my mom." I loved this response and it has caused me to think about the things that I get from my mom.
Some of the things that I get from my mom: the ability to speak in front of people with poise, great cooking skills, a love for flowers and gardens, an appreciation of music, determination to do what is right even if it is hard, an eye for service and friendship, and a love of the gospel. Some of the things I get from my dad: my impulsivity, my weirdness, my love for working outside, my temper (that's something else that I don't like to publicly admit, that I get angry sometimes).
Sitting around the table tonight listening to my aunts catch up with eachother reminds me of my sisters. How I love my sisters. I think about them a lot. They are such wonderful people and have shaped who I am. They are my biggest fans, my loudest cheerleaders, my conscience, and my sounding board. I think about how grateful I am that my sisters are my sisters, because if they weren't my sisters I don't know that we would be friends, just because in many ways we are so different. In that way I feel very lucky, because I learn so much from them.
I interrupt this message to give a quick update of the job hunt. I have filled out probably 15 applications so far. I applied today to be a sub for the Jordan School District. I will also apply to be a sub in Canyons School District. I have a screening interview on Friday with Jordan District. I have a second interview with a charter school in springville in April.
Hey, if any of you out there has a blog, let me know what it is. Also, if you have a private blog, email me an invitation. I really don't want this to be a one-sided thing. Give AND take.

That sounds amazing. Yummo! I am glad we are sisters too!
ReplyDeleteUmm, you made chocolate and didn't share it with me?? So totally offended. :)
ReplyDelete